Explore North Wales
Discover Wales’ unique outdoor experiences, like no other university has to offer. Whatever the weather you can enjoy the shores, mountains, towns, history, and culture. Here’s just a VERY small snapshot of what you can do and places to visit.
- Snowdon – Translates to Yr Wyddfa in Welsh and is the highest mountain in Wales and England, at an elevation of 1,085 meters above sea level! There are six official routes you can take up Snowdon, varying in difficulty and approaching the summit from different sides. Find the best path for you and discover the incredible views that Wales has to offer:
- Zip World Fforest – Choose from the Fforest Coaster (the UK’s only alpine coaster of its kind), bouncing fun on Treetop Nets, zip line and adventure courses high in the trees on the Tree Hoppers, Zip Safari or if you’re feeling adventurous you could try Europe’s highest giant swing, Skyride! A host of forest adventures await within the stunning Welsh woodlands:
- Zip World – Get the ultimate adrenaline rush by going down the fastest zip line in the world with Velocity 2, take a unique ride in the UK’s only mountain cart experience in the Quarry Karts, take the Penrhyn Quarry tour to take in the stunning views and learn about the Snowdonia National Park or ride on the Quarry Flyer for a little less intense zip line whilst still enjoying the stunning views of the lake:
- Ribride - Thrill rides in a super-fast RIB boat on the Menai Strait. Experience the bridges and swellies tour where you ride over shipwrecks, rocks, whirlpools and pass beneath two of the most spectacular bridges in Wales. Take the puffin and seals tour where you visit Puffin Island, (home to several migratory birds and seals). Hop on board the ribride explorer where it takes you through the craggy coastline of north Anglesey, before turning North West across open seas to the Skerries. Or discover the soaring sea cliffs of Gogarth Bay and South Stack lighthouse:
- Location – Anglesey
- Price – £25 (for a seat) - £330 (to rent the boat)
- Time – 60-90mins
- Link to website - https://www.ribride.co.uk/
- Caernarfon Castle – recognised around the world as one of the greatest buildings of the Middle Ages, this royal fortress-palace was built on legends and bitter medieval conflict. It is architecturally one of the most impressive of all of the castles in Wales, rich in an abundance of history. Even after 700 years it still stirs the imagination like no other. Visit, discover and learn about it here:
- Bounce Below – Take adventure to the next level with this unique experience of jumping on 6 trampoline-style nets built into an underground CAVE! Yes, you read that right, go trampolining underground through the subterranean wonderland of Wales. That’s not all, take the underground course of exploring the caverns, ride Europe’s first four-person zip line – Titan 2, or submerge yourself in the deep mine tour 500ft underground:
- Piggery Pottery – Try your hand at pottery throwing with a professional artist or drop in for a pottery painting session, where you can make your own creations and take them home with you. Open any day of the week, just pick the pottery shape you like and start painting! This is the perfect way to wind down after a long week, take a break from studying and get creative with this therapeutic painting session:
- National Slate Museum – Located in the Victorian workshops, built in the shadow of Elidir mountain and the site of the vast Dinorwig Quarry – here you can travel into the past of an industry and a way of life that is at the very roots of our country. The Workshops and Buildingsare designed as though quarrymen and engineers have just put down their tools and left the courtyard for home, while an array of Talks and Demonstrations including slate-splitting give you a real insight into quarry life.
- Pili Palas – Visit this small but magical hands-on zoo that includes a butterfly house, bird house, lizard land, meerkat tunnel, bug zone, tropical hide, pet’s corner, snake house, farmyard and barn! Enter a steamy environment of lush vegetation and waterfalls with LIVE butterflies flying all around you:
- Venue Cymru – is a theatre, conference centre, a large arts arena and events venue. Book tickets for interactive workshops, talks, comedy shows, musical theatre, live music performances and so much more! Experience what North Wales’ finest arts have to offer: