Rent Smart Wales - Dafydd Hardy Students Bangor
Important Changes to Legislation for Landlords
We would like to take this opportunity to let you know about Rent Smart Wales; as you may be aware, new legislation came in to force on the 23rd November 2015 in relation to all rented properties in Wales, this is administered by Cardiff Council. This new legislation is in addition to the HMO licencing that you need to have in place for your Student properties.
All private landlords who have a rental property in Wales must register themselves and the addresses of their rental properties. There is a charge of £33.60 to register online and this rises if undertaking a paper application. This applies to all landlords who rent out properties in Wales including those who live in other regions of the UK and landlords living abroad.
Landlords who undertake defined letting or property management activities at a rental property in Wales must apply for a license. As your property is not managed through Dafydd Hardy, you will need to be licenced as you undertake some, if not all of the defined activities as listed below;
- arranging or conducting viewings with prospective tenants;
- gathering evidence for the purpose of establishing the suitability of prospective tenants (for example, by confirming character references, undertaking credit checks or interviewing a prospective tenant);
- preparing, or arranging the preparation, of a tenancy agreement;
- Preparing, or arranging the preparation, of an inventory for the dwelling or schedule of condition for the dwelling.
- collecting rent;
- being the principal point of contact for the tenant in relation to matters arising under the tenancy;
- making arrangements with a person to carry out repairs or maintenance;
- making arrangements with a tenant or occupier of the dwelling to secure access to the dwelling for any purpose;
- checking the contents or condition of the dwelling, or arranging for them to be checked as part of a current tenancy or for one which has ended;
- serving notice to terminate a tenancy.
We would ask that all landlords now register with Rent Smart Wales, once you have registered and have attended the accredited licencing course can you please let us know and then provide us with a copy of your registration and licence document for our records by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
REGISTER HERE: https://www.rentsmart.gov.wales/en/landlord/landlord-registration/